Sunday, May 26, 2013

Basic Gray Fiction Memory Book

  Hello, friends! As most of you have probably seen, memorabilia books (aka Smash Books) are all the rage right now. (Stampin' Up has even come out with a line in its upcoming catalog, and Recollections now has their own line too.) Since I love a good mini album and know lots of people who do, I can see why this trend has taken off like wildfire. Pre-made mini albums are convenient, offer tons of coordinating products, and make scrapbooking really accessible to people who may not like to plan 12x12 layouts. (A square foot of space really is a lot of space!)

  As cool as these pre-made products are, they certainly aren't cheap, particularly all the coordinating embellishments. Since I'm a cheapskate with a fully equipped craft room, I decided I could take on one of these projects myself for a lot less. I was inspired to try after finding the entire line of Basic Gray Fact or Fiction on clearance at my local craft store. I picked up the 12x12 paper pad for $5, the sticker sheet for $1, and added 3 packages of embellies for $1 each. 

  I cut a selection of the papers down to 6"x 8" and made some plain chipboard covers. I embossed the covers by leaving my honeycomb embossing folder open and running the pieces through my Big Shot on the regular tab setting. The subtle effect turned out really cool! Then I punched and wire bound the pages to create this cute and simple little book. A few scraps of paper and a few  canvas flowers from the $1 embellishment package, and a book was born!


  This was so simple and cute that I used the 4x6 scraps from this book to make little books for each of my daughters as well. I have enough paper left to make limitless embellishments (perhaps another post) as well as at least 2 more books. That's 5 memory books for $9!

  So, what do you do with memorabilia books and why can't you do whatever that is with a regular mini album or scrapbook page? Short answer: you can. I plan to use this book to collect the stuff of everyday life. Like this:


Photography wasn't allowed at this event, but there was stuff I wanted to keep to remember the experience.


I've had these photos forever and just couldn't seem to get them scrapped. In they go! 

  Programs from Christmas plays and musicals, recital programs, and tons of other photo-less or tough to scrap memorabilia can go in this little book to be kept on a shelf and remembered, all for much less than it's off-the-shelf counterparts.

  Thanks for stopping by, my dear friends!

1 comment:

  1. That's awesome! What a great idea, and of course, who doesn't love a bargain?!

    ReplyDelete