I love having pictures of my daughters absolutely everywhere, and I've been dying to incorporate silhouettes into my home decor. Silhouette pictures are so vintage and classic, and these are very easy and inexpensive to make!
Here are the steps:
1. Take a profile picture of your subject. Bear in mind that the profile picture has to be exactly from the side. If one part of the head or body sits at the wrong angle, your silhouette will look odd.
2. Size your photo on the computer so that the size of the subject fits into the area you wish to frame. Print the photo. (Quality/color doesn't matter.)
3. Outline the silhouette in pencil and cut out.
4. Trace the silhouette on the back of black paper. (Keep in mind which direction you want the final image to face.) Cut out.
5. Layer the silhouette onto background paper. Matting with several layers of contrasting paper gives a nice effect.